DEFY Exterior Wood Stain Stripper is a ready-to-use liquid that quickly removes worn finishes to restore wood surfaces. Both water-based, and oil-based stains and varnishes are removed.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
LIMITATIONS: DEFY Exterior Wood Stain Stripper is not designed to strip paint or other film-forming surface coatings.
SURFACE PREPARATION: Surfaces to be stripped must be above 50°F. Protect adjacent surfaces; cover with plastic sheets and/or tape off any adjacent areas not being stripped. Thoroughly wet and/or cover plants and shrubs. Rinsing residue will not harm plants or roots. Exposure to full strength product will burn foliage. Test area: Test product in a small, inconspicuous area to ensure desired results before general use.
- Shake well before use.
- Lightly dampen (not saturate) surfaces to be stripped to avoid excessive grain raising.
- Apply a generous and uniform coat with a polyester brush or pump-up sprayer. On vertical surfaces, apply product from bottom up to avoid streaking. Avoid application in direct sunlight.
- Allow DEFY Exterior Wood Stain Stripper to remain wet on a surface for 15 to 25 minutes. Reapply if drying occurs. Allow time for product to work.
- When finish begins to lift from wood surface, scrub if necessary with a stiff bristle brush in the direction of wood grain.
- Rinse in the direction of the wood grain with large amounts of water using highest pressure from a garden hose or power washer with 500- 1200 psi. Using a power washer will eliminate the need for scrubbing. However, particular care should be taken with a power washer to avoid damaging wood. Rinse adjacent areas at the same time.
- If stubborn areas remain, repeat the application in those areas.
- Neutralize and brighten wood with DEFY Wood Brightener immediately after stripping, or within one day. Any stripper not neutralized and thoroughly rinsed will cause poor coating adhesion.
- Allow wood to dry before refinishing.
Note: Product may darken cedar and redwood and raise the grain on some species of wood.
COVERAGE: 100-150 square feet per gallon depending on surface.
Cleanup: Clean tools & equipment immediately after each use with soap & water.
Danger! Corrosive. Keep out of reach of children. Do not take internally. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Avoid breathing mist. Close container tightly after each use. Do not re-use containers. Contains sodium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate. Causes eye, skin and mucous membrane burns. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Harmful if absorbed through skin. Vapor harmful. Use only in a well ventilated area. Wear chemical resistant gloves, boots, goggles and protective clothing. If vapors or mists are generated while applying or removing, wear a NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator and face shield. Change clothing and wash thoroughly when finished. Avoid contact with bare metal surfaces. Project surfaces are extremely slippery to walk on. Do not store in aluminum containers.
If inhaled: Ensure fresh air breathing. Allow the victim to rest. In case of breathing difficulties, administer oxygen. Seek medical attention immediately. If swallowed: Rinse mouth with water (only if the person is conscious). Do NOT induce vomiting. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. Obtain emergency medical attention. For skin contact: Rinse using water for 15 minutes after skin contact. Remove contaminated clothes. Wash skin thoroughly with mild soap and water. If skin irritation persists, seek medical attention. For eye contact: Immediately flush eyes thoroughly with water for at least 20 minutes holding eyelids open. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Seek medical attention immediately. For additional information on this product, consult the product data sheet and SDS for this product available at www.defywoodstain.com.